How to get to Machu Picchu?
In this post I will give you all the infomation you need to organize your next trip to Machu Picchu.
Machu Picchu means old mountain and is considered one of the new 7 wonders of the modern world. Perhaps you are not sure to make this trip because you think that after visiting Machu Picchu you will not have anything else to see but let me tell that it is not right. Peru will surprise you with its capital, the small and beautiful town of Cusco, the route of the sun, Titicaca lake, Uros floating islands, etc …
It is important to note that most of the international flights will have a stop in Lima, the capital of Peru because there are no direct flights to Cusco, so why not take a look of this city?
If you have decided to visit Lima have in mind the following considerations:
– Using taxi from the airport is very expensive. I highly recommend to use Uber service. You’ll spend less and you’ll be safer.
-Sorry but I have to say that Lima is a very chaotic city, the road traffic is really a problem so please have this in mind in your return to the airport if you do not want to miss your flight.
– Make sure the hotel where you will stay is in a safe area. The best hotels area and shopping centers is called Miraflores but is a bit far from the historical center.
What to see in Lima Peru?
1. Main Square of Lima (Plaza Mayor) – it is the main square of the capital. It have witnessed great events such as the proclamation of independence of Peru in 1821.
2. Lima Cathedral – is the largest church in Peru, its architecture is a mixture of Gothic, Neoclassical and Renaissance.
3. Archiepiscopal Palace of Lima – is a museum that has paintings and artifacts obviously related to archbishops. At the entrance to the Cathedral of Lima you can buy the ticket that includes the entrance to this Palace. You would save some money with this package.
4. Saint Martin Square
5. Monastery of Saint Francis (Museum and Catacombs) – This is a must in the city.You will not regret it. They have guided tours in Spanish and English. The opening hours are from 9:00 am to 8:15 pm every day of the year.
You will visit every single room of the convent, incluidins the old library which is impressive, the choral room and at the end are the catacombs.
For more information here the website.
Now Machu Picchu
Your next flight will be to the city of Cusco (Cuzco). Cusco is a very touristic little town. You will find all kinds of accommodation, restaurants, bars and shops with different articles made of baby alpaca. Those clothes are famous for be extremely warm.
From here you have two options to get to Machu Picchu:
1 . Cusco – Aguascalientes: You can travel by train that leaves from the Poroy station and is 15 min from Cusco by taxi.
2. Ollantaytambo – Aguascalientes: Or you can take other train in this town called Ollantaytambo. It is 1 hour with 20 minutes from the city of Cusco.
To get to Ollantaytambo you can take a taxi, shared taxi or a small van. You can imagine what is the most economical option.
These vans begin to leave from 2:30 a.m. in the street pavitos located about 7 blocks from the barrack square (you can take a taxi and you will arrive in 10 minutes). The price of buses to Ollantaytambo is between 20 and 25 soles.
Aguascalientes is a small town that is very close to Machu Picchu. Here you can find hotels, hostels, restaurants, bars, etc … From here you will have two options to get to the Inca city, you can go walking or pay a bus that leaves daily very early. People start to buy the tickets from 4:30 am. You will find the Ticket sales in a small booth on the main avenue of the town, anyone can indicate the place or you will identify it with the group of people around.
Points to have in mind:
– You must buy your tickets to Machu Picchu in advance. They only have 2500 spaces per day, that in order to avoid deterioration of the sanctuary.
It should be noted that there are two types of tickets: the normal one to enter to the city and the one that includes the Waynapicchu mountain (Huayna Picchu). The latter are sold out even faster because they only sell 200 spaces per day. It is from the top of this mountain that you can see all of Machu Picchu.
To buy your ticket to Machu Picchu click here.
It will be your choose stay in Ollantaytambo or Aguascalientes.
If you want to be the first to enter Machu Picchu to be able to take pictures avoiding all the crowds then I personally recommend you to stay in Aguascalientes.
– There are two agencies for the purchase the train tickets. I leave the links of each:
A) Peru Rail
B) Inca Rail
P.S. Do not forget to try the coca tea and the Cuzco beer.